brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

2003 aircooled gearbox issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jotargs

Cabin : Club

2003 aircooled gearbox issues Empty
PostSubject: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 am

Hi my 2003 1.6 air cooled t2 has a droning noise that comes from the gearbox…..the sound oscillates it is quite audible and gets louder as the speed increases. The shift is a bit stiff as well. There is also some slight bearing whine. Quite a bit of metal filings where on the magnetic drain plug when the oil was changed. Has anyone else had the same problem? If it needs a rebuild who is the best person to take it to? I live in Bristol Rgds David
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

Cabin : Exec 052

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyThu May 16, 2024 5:29 pm

Hi all, I've just been told that my 2007 watercooled Bays gearbox needs replacing or restoring. At the moment I'm looking to source a replacement gearbox. Any help would be much appreciated. Chris 😐
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyFri May 17, 2024 8:24 am

greeny wrote:
Hi all, I've just been told that my 2007 watercooled Bays gearbox needs replacing or restoring. At the moment I'm looking to source a replacement gearbox. Any help would be much appreciated.  Chris 😐

There are plenty of threads about this on the forum if you do a search, including my thread on replacing a watercooled gearbox with a reconditioned German Beetle gearbox. You will find that a new Brazilian watercooled gearbox is very expensive and practically impossible to find. Your options are to rebuild your existing gearbox, or use a Beetle gearbox like I did. A Beetle gearbox will slot straight in to an aircooled, but will need some modification which I have described in my thread.

greeny likes this post

Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyFri May 17, 2024 4:28 pm

Many thanks Voyager. I'll check out your thread, Chris
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyYesterday at 9:14 am

greeny wrote:
Many thanks Voyager. I'll check out your thread, Chris

I don't know where you are on the south coast, but I know that Paul Brand Autos in Hampshire have repaired the gearboxes of other members.
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyToday at 10:52 am

Thanks Voyager,
I'm in Sussex.
Have sourced a box through Bob at Volkshaus. Probably going to take a month to get Arnie back on the road. His original box is with H2 Engineering....in bits!
Thanks again for your help, Chris
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyToday at 12:15 pm

greeny wrote:
Thanks Voyager,
I'm in Sussex.
Have sourced a box through Bob at Volkshaus. Probably going to take a month to get Arnie back on the road. His original box is with H2 Engineering....in bits!
Thanks again for your help, Chris

Obviously you need to decide what to do with the original box, repair or sell as is. I sold ours to somebody who rents out a Brazilian van and needed to have a spare available. Just the gearbox case is worth money. They are sold as Rhino cases to people who race VW-based vehicles.
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues EmptyToday at 2:10 pm

Thanks for that info Voyager. I was told I would probably have to pay them for stripping the box down
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2003 aircooled gearbox issues   2003 aircooled gearbox issues Empty

Back to top Go down

2003 aircooled gearbox issues
Page 1 of 1