brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?

Go down 
+14
michel_bonn
jill
Happyhouse
gordonmac
dazdub
EvoFylde
MarcusH
Sunny
Matt
Dalesman
AbsintheKombi
beakyboy
JLS 62
TimV
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Where to next? What features?
Spain
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap18%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 12 ]
Italian Lakes
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap13%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 9 ]
Walking distance from a beach
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap10%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
Short drive to a beach
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap6%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
Inland location
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap1%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
On-site restaurant
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap6%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
On-site bar
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap10%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
On-site sports facilities ie. tennis, basketball ...
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap7%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 5 ]
Walking distance to nearby town
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap13%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 9 ]
On-site shop
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap9%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 6 ]
Organised evening entertainment
Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_lcap4%Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 67

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? Empty
PostSubject: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:44 am

We started talking about where we'd head off on our BraziBay travels to next during this year's Kaper.  Spain and the Italian Lakes were the popular destinations.  Which would you like to go to?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? Melogo11

Last edited by TimV on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Tim, after having driven nearly 400 miles yesterday it was very, very tiring. I think I would prefer drive to the port (which for us is long anyway - nothing can be done about that I know) and perhaps no more than 200 / 250 miles 'the other side.'  Northern Spain gets my vote  - much as I would love the Italian Lakes - which I think would be a 'bridge too far.'
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 am

I suppose if you chose Spain you can get the ferry directly into Bilbao and plan your stops/sites from there and cut down on the driving a bit.... I'm easy we're just hoping we can join in on the next adventure..

________________________________________________________________________________
Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 4:03 pm

I love Italy but for me it has to be Northern Spain. The 24 hour ferry gives us Northerners chance to recover after a 300 mile trip to Portsmouth and we arrive with a single days driving. The idea of a stop overnight en route would be inconvenient, especially for those with very full kombis.

The area around the Picos de Europe is stunning and there are some super little towns along the coast. I'll fill in some gaps with some photos when we arrive near Llanes later in this trip.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Dalesman

Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I'd vote for somewhere you get to from Hull - how about Cleethorpes? but failing that Spain should be sunny

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I was under the impression that the ferry to bilbao takes 2 days, which is a big chunk of holiday time.

Matt.

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Matt - it is 2 days- 1 there and one back.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 am

My bad, I see they do 2 crossings, a 32 hour or a 24 hour

Matt.

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 am

I'd certainly prefer not to have a stopover as unpacking our lot for one night would be a chore. How many hours would people be prepared to drive for having arrived at Bilbao for instance? I'm thinking somewhere near Barcelona ..... that would be a 5-6 hour drive.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm not sure I'd want to drive for 5 hours across Spain to get to Barcelona after a day on the ferry to Bilbao, as attractive as the city is. I thought the original idea was to visit the northern coastline.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Sunny wrote:
I'm not sure I'd want to drive for 5 hours across Spain to get to Barcelona after a day on the ferry to Bilbao, as attractive as the city is. I thought the original idea was to visit the northern coastline.
Just deliberating for now .... nothing fixed .... looking at options. Wink 

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Not sure of my plans for next year yet as got a lot on already

Would prefer Northern Spain with a short drive

Still recovering now - didn't help going out last night though
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Barcelona is too far I think Tim. We'd like a high holiday to drive ratio! (Says the couple driving almost the entire length of France!)

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm

North Western Spain for us. Long ferry, not too long a drive to somewhere nice.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Of course, we could just go back to the Vendee. The site had loads to do, entertainment, plenty for kids and seaside nearby. If they could put us on the field on the left as you drove in we wouldn't disturb anyone although I'm not sure there was EHU available.

I know our teenager and get bf would love it there.

We could probably book it direct and ask for a space together.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 am

we would prefer a site within cycle/ or walking distance for eating out and touring round local areas ,as abs says the distance some have to travel to get to the ferry is quite relevant,both ends of the holiday.The less driving on the other side is preferable .
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 12:04 pm

This is all useful banter. We learned a lot from the trip so we can tailor the next one accordingly.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm

If we could fit it in, we'd loved to come.

Leaving in Lancashire, we'd prefer less driving after the ferry, eventhough I'd love to go to Italy.

We're very beachy people, so anywhere near a gorgeous beach with sunshine, and we'd be happy.

Out of interest, could I ask how much it all came to:

1. ferry?
2. site?
3. petrol for trip?

How much were most people shelling out, on average?

Also, what cover do people go for and from whom, in terms of breakdown cover for such trips?
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm

As long as DazDub is there you won't need breakdown cover!

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 pm

EvoFylde wrote:

Out of interest, could I ask how much it all came to:

1. ferry?
2. site?
3. petrol for trip?

How much were most people shelling out, on average?

Also, what cover do people go for and from whom, in terms of breakdown cover for such trips?
If you look at the original Club trip to France thread the costings for ferry and campsite are all there. With regard to fuel, I used about 2/3rds of a tank on the outward and inward journeys in France and probably a 1/3 of a tank during the break. But I'm Aircooled, as an AquaBay driver you'd use less.

Many have foreign breakdown cover included with their insurance. If not cover for the 10 days was £65.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks Tim.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 pm

We used a full tank getting down to Portsmouth. Probably used a 1/4 of a tank in the week.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Dalesman

Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Our fuel bill was £265 for 185 litres but we spent much less than expected once in France i think because the campsite was a bit remote so no bars/restaurants on the doorstep.

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:07 pm

we are up for anywhere I don't mind a long drive but as lilyvdub say near a town would be good . we both like the look of picos de Europe but like the idea of Italy but the long drive will put a lot off . if any north lot want we can go to anita,s the day befour like we did and set out with a small drive we will def do this again as it made it a lot better role on kombi kaper 2014
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 am

I've been fantasizing for a while about about ferry to Santander, drive back through france and the ferry over channel. Would maybe be way too much driving though. Am definately up for a northern Spain caper (Italy would be great too but spain would get my first vote).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?   Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next? Empty

Back to top Go down

Next Kontinental Kaper: where to next?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next